A Reliable Wife makes me fit!

Have you ever heard of a book review before the reviewer has finished reading the book? I'm only seven chapters into this book, and I can wholeheartedly recommend it for weight loss.

Let's face it, exercising is great for you, but it isn't always the most mentally stimulating activity. Unless you're in need of deep thought that only the black asphalt can provide, then you're lucky to find something on the gym televisions to keep your mind off of your screaming muscles.

Now that my sore knees are less than stellar reminders of my pre-hurdling days in high school, I've taken to the elliptical machine at Fitness 19. The only nice aspect of running in a gym is the air conditioning. Otherwise, plate glass now separates me from the birds, trees, and fresh air.

Good news: Reading makes gym workouts go much faster. You can't exactly take a book on a run with you (or you'll get the same results as texting and driving), but you can take it with you to the gym. Prior to finding the book you see at the top of this post, I read People magazine, finding that articles on celebrities (or, more likely, photos of celebrities in bikinis) served as motivation to get me to the end of the workout.

Magazines may make the workouts less horrible, but until today I never met a publication that could actually GET me to the gym. Busy as I am with writing, I don't get much of a chance to read for pleasure, so when I started reading The Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick, I noticed that it quickly represented an activity that could easily take me away from every other adult responsibility in my life. With that in mind, I've decided that I can read it ONLY while at the gym! I leave it in the car so I won't be tempted to read it before bed.

I had a nice workout this morning. But now I'm thinking about going back for an evening run. :)

Be well.

Labels: